A while back, I authored a post on Moja Gear around maximizing your time on rock when traveling on the road alone.
Recently, I was reminded of all the incredible climbing destinations I’ve had the good fortune to travel to, and wanted to share a shortlist here:
- Tonsai/Railay Beach, Thailand (the former is more climber-friendly whereas Railay is more resort-filled, though that may have changed since 2011)
- Chiang Mai, Thailand (check out the local bouldering gym run by the CMRCA – a good place to meet other climbers)
- Cat, Ba Vietnam (check out Asia Outdoors which run some pretty cool climbing/kayaking excurions)
- Laos (Green Climbers Home is a great place to meet like-minded climbers and partner up, almost instantly – highly recommended)
- Kalymnos, Greece
- Svar, Croatia (check out Miro Stec’s sweet climbing digs, Cliffbase)
- Yangshuo, China
- Squamish, Canada
Speaking of solo travels and climbing, I’m off to Tenerife in the Canary Islands of Spain in 12 days in case anyone fancies joining me for a climbing/trekking adventure there. So stoked to get on real rock after more than a few months off!