Summer solstice is in full swing in the Northern Hemisphere, and we love immersing ourselves in the great outdoors and all its sun-kissed and sweaty glory!
To celebrate summer, here are five outdoor essentials to keep in our beach/crag bag:
- Honest SPF: There’s nothing sexier than sun-kissed glow of summer skin, but sunburn and skin cancer – not so much. We recommend a natural, mineral-based, water resistant broad-spectrum UVA & UVB SPF 30 sunscreen like Honest sans funky chemicals, greasiness, and smells.
- Natrapel 8 Hour Inspect Repellent: We had a lyme disease scare earlier this month after pulling two ticks out from a bouldering jaunt in nearby New Jersey’s Boonton Fields, and were kicking ourselves for not having taken all the precautions to prevent tick bites, including: staying away from high grassy areas, covering up legs and arms, and wearing insect repellent.
- Outdoor Research Radar Pocket Cap: Sangria, please! We love the SPF protection this cute cap provides, and its sweat wicking headband to keep our heads so fresh, clean, and cool.
- Sun Bum SPF 30 Lip Balm: We’re always on the lookout for SPF-based lip balms to keep our puckers protected from the harsh summer rays, and loved this one in coconut! Usually we’re allergic to most of the ones in the market, but Sun Bum worked for our lips, and it smells and tastes delicious! Note: some reviewers have mentioned they had a severe allergic reaction to this product, so we recommend trying a bit on before fully applying to lips.
- Teva Women’s Olowahu Flip-Flop: When we broke our Haivaianas Slims at Red Rocks last month, I nearly cried. Luckily, a trip to a nearby REI saved the day, and I opted for a more sturdy sandal. I love these comfy, cushy, and super cute flip-flops that can be worn to the beach, climbing crag or bouldering gym.